Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Part 1 Separation, the poem.

Separation
Sapo arrived when I needed him
My childhood was a childhood with Sapo.
He backed me up, he kept me safe.
A life with Sapo is now is a life of danger.
I should be getting my education,
I should be spending time with Blanca,
But I owe Sapo.
It's hard to split the two.
Blanca wont look at Sapo,
Sapo wont look at Blanca,
My life, divided.
With Sapo Blanca is only an object,
With Blanca Sapo is just an old friend.
My life, destroying itself.

My marriage, and it's creation jump within her whom.
She doesn't respect me, so I don't respect her.
Sapo is a dangerous fool,
and Pentecostals are crazy.
But I married her knowing she's a Pentecostal,
and she married me knowing I had Sapo.
Even still, it tears us apart.


This poem shows the conflict between Sapo and Blanca through specific quotes from the text.  The reader can see Enrique's closeness to Sapo and the conflict he has between his two lives when he says, "Sapo had arrived at a time when I needed someone there, next to me, so I could feel valuable.  My childhood and adolescent life had been made up of times with him, as I later wanted my adult life to be made up of times with Blanca.  It was hard to split the two"(11).  Enrique's disrespect for Blanca's religion is shown through out the story: "'Blanca, no Christ right now alright?' This upset her"(21).  The stress that Sapo is placing on their marriage is shown most prominently when Blanca feels a pain in her whom: "'A friend of Sapo is a friend of mine,' I said, and Blanca shot me an evil look, then pointedly clasped her rounded belly"(21).

No comments:

Post a Comment